Louie made a trip to the doggie ER earlier this year after he ate a bunch of marijuana peanuts. (Yes, I said peanuts. Didn’t know there was such a thing.) It seems that one of Jane’s friends brought some over to Jane’s apartment in her purse. Jane and said friend went out to the pool for some sun and drinks. Louie found the peanuts in the purse and consumed all of them. This is not a good thing for dogs.
By the time Jane and friend returned to the apartment, Louis was stumbling around enjoying a nice mellow, San Francisco high. Once the theft and consumption of the peanuts was discovered, it was off to the doggie ER for emergency treatment, lest Louie succumb to death by overdose. He survived, of course.
Fast forward to last Friday night. The family went out to dinner and left Louie at home with Lilly. This seemed like a safe bet. The trash was out on the back porch. All food (at least we thought all food) was put up on counters out of reach. Closets were closed, but maybe not secured as well as they should have been. We were off for some pizza at Deweys.
Unfortunately the wait at Deweys was over an hour, so we decided to head down the street to the Loop and Cicero’s. Good pizza, good service, cold beer. After dinner we went to Ben and Jerry’s for dessert.
Back at the house, it seems that Louis had discovered how to open a closet door where he discovered a bag with 1-3/4 pounds of tortugas. (For those who don’t speak spanish, tortugas are turtles, in this case, the candy kind.) Before we returned home, Louie had consumed about a pound of tortugas. This is not a good thing for a dog to do.
It seems as though chocolate can be fatal to dogs. Beagles are no exception. The smaller the dog, the more poisonous the chocolate. And Louie is no big dog. So, it was off to the ER again. They made him throw up (he hated that) and then watched him for over 24 hours. It seems the treatment was in time to save the little bugger’s life and he is home with us again. Not sure if he will eat tortugas again.